Desk-side SupportLCSEE Systems provides desk-side IT support for all Lane Department faculty and staff offices as well as research facilities. Research facilities are supported per our Research Support policy. Requests for service should be sent to email@example.com.
Common Desk-side Support ServicesTechnicians can assist faculty, staff, and researchers with the following:
- Supported Operating System Installation
- Operating System Troubleshooting
- Hardware Troubleshooting
- Network Connectivity
- Anti-Virus Software
- Supported Software Package Installation
**Ask about our Remote Desk-side Support option**
Operating System InstallationTechnicians will install and perform basic configuration of the operating systems below. Elaborate disk configurations, customized registry settings, or other customizations are handled on a case by case basis.
- Microsoft Windows 7 and 10
- LOUD (LCSEE's Optimized Installation of Ubuntu Linux)
- Apple macOS
Operating System TroubleshootingTechnicians will provide troubleshooting for supported operating systems. Basic problems include:
- Failure to boot into a working system.
- Slow processor, network, or disk performance.
- Problems loading supported software applications.
- Failure to acquire a network connection.
- Problems connecting to supported network resources such as printers and other supported servers.
Hardware TroubleshootingTechnicians will perform basic troubleshooting and repair of common computer system hardware. Original manufacturer warranty claims can be handled by LCSEE Systems. Basic hardware troubleshooting will be performed for cases such as:
- Failed hard disks, optical drives, power supplies, motherboards, processors, memory, network cards, graphics adapters, and sound cards.
- Failed peripherals such as scanners, keyboards, mice, speakers, displays, and HP LaserJet printers.
- Specialized hardware and peripherals such as cameras, biometric equipment, or other instrumentation is not supported.
- Laptops are not serviced by LCSEE Systems. Technicians will make arrangements with WVU's Computer Repair and Assistance group for support.
Network AccessAll network clients must have current software and operating system patches installed at all times. LCSEE Systems will install WVU ITS-approved anti-virus software which must remain installed and up-to-date.
Computer systems that do not have current installations of software and operating system patches, as well as approved anti-virus software, can be disabled from the network without prior notice.
Statler ITS or WVU ITS Network Services will disable network access for machines scanning or abusing the WVU network and Internet sites without prior notice.
For assistance with acquiring an ethernet connection, visit our Network Access service page.
Anti-Virus SoftwareTechnicians will install and configure a server managed installation of Kaspersky or McAfee anti-virus. Up-to-date virus definitions must be verified on a regular basis by the custodian of the machine. This software must remain installed and running at all times. In the event of a virus infection, technicians will quarantine and remove the offending software. Some malware require the re-installation of the operating system. Remember to backup all data periodically.
Supported Software Package InstallationTechnicians will perform software installation and troubleshooting for the packages in support of Lane Department courses as well as those included in the list below. Unsupported software must be installed and maintained by the custodian of the system. Software packages not listed below may be handled on case by case basis.
- Microsoft Office (including Outlook)
- Visual Studio .NET Professional
- Mozilla Firefox
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Adobe Acrobat Writer
- Adobe CC (including Photoshop, inDesign, Codeweaver, etc.)
- Google Backup
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Most packages existing in official Ubuntu Linux repositories (EMACS, GNU Compilers, etc.)